Started by Iainm in Ski News 02-May-2018
Snow is guaranteed, not just because it's super high at 3600m – offering a 400m vertical drop down to 3200m – but because since last autumn Deux Alpes Loisirs, the resort's ski lift company, took the dramatic step of installing snow cannons to preserve the glacier even in the most challenging conditions.
According to the resort, the combination of glacier skiing and their extensive mountain biking network meant that there were over 400,000 nights of accommodation booked last summer. That only represents around one quarter of their winter bed nights, significantly more than most ski resorts.
In total around 260,000 visitors came to resort, of which just over half were skiers, 34% pedestrians and 12% mountain bikers.
New for this season in Les 2 Alpes is a €100,000 skate park, which is being built during the spring of 2018 in the resort centre.
Thrill seekers can also try the airbag park and the chance to launch yourself into the air on a donut-style rubber ring from a launch ramp and land safely on an airbag at €3 per jump.
A new Via Ferrata area (run by the mountain guides' office) is now available for children on Les Perrons sector (above Venosc village). This fun course combines hiking and climbing along a route secured by cables and rungs.
Summer Ski Stats
- The glacier opens every day from 7 to 12.30pm.
- There are 111 hectares of slopes: 9 blue runs, 1 green run, 1 red run, a beginner area, freestyle
area and a freeride area.
- The glacier is at 3,200m and is accessible from the resort via a 30minute ride with the Jandri
Express cable car.
- 17 lifts are open in the summer: 2 gondolas, 1 cable car, 2 chairlifts, 8 draglifts, 2 small lifts for
beginners and 1 funicular.
- 50 ski and snowboard instructors work on the glacier in the summer.
- There is an 18-hectare snowpark, with half pipe, super pipe and modules including hips, rails, slopestyle, quarters and kickers.
- The ski pass costs €40.90 per day or €204.50 for 6 days (€32.70/€163.50 for children) and also allows access to the Bike Park