J2Ski logo J2Ski logo
Login Forum Search Recent Forums

Ski & boot hire

To Create or Answer a Topic

Started by Brooksy in Ski Chatter - 40 Replies

J2Ski

Brooksy posted Jan-2013

Just had a nasty shock when looking to hire boots & skis in Obergurgl, so much so I sent an email to Intersport to ask for an explanation.

In Tignes I hired boots & skis with insurance from their Noire range for a total of € 124.50 from Intersport.

Intersport in Obergurgl want € 199 discounted to €169 for superior skis & € 72 discounted to €61 for boots, which comes to € 230 excluding insurance & service charge.They say in their reply different countries have different charges due to their economy & of course that's obvious but almost double for the same gear seems OTT.

Many including myself avoid France as being too expensive but it seems there are some exceptions, such as ski hire.

I hired boots & skis in sauxe last year & in Engelberg 2 yrs ago & none were anywhere near the Obergurgl prices, Skiset are the same co as alpine ski & they want more, am I missing something here as the prices seem crazy for 6 days use?

AllyG
reply to 'Ski & boot hire'
posted Jan-2013

I can read this Brooksy :-)

That's a ridiculous price for skis in Obergurgl :shock:

I've skied there and hired from Intersport and I'm sure the prices were in the normal range.

Is it because for some reason you're not getting the usual discount? I mean, Intersport in Les Brevieres was at something like a 40% discount.

Ian Wickham
reply to 'Ski & boot hire'
posted Jan-2013

And I keep being told how cheap Austria is/was 8)

Brooksy
reply to 'Ski & boot hire'
posted Jan-2013

Thanks for the replies, Ian I ski Austria mostly but have not hired ski equipment there apart from my first ski trip many years ago.I think over £200 for 6 days hire is outrageous & am now considering taking my old skis & boots with me as its £34 each way for skis with BA, that would save me about €150 or £129.Ally the discount in France was 35% & in Austria 15% so 20% should be the difference, but it looks like the original price is 90% higher & I don't think this is because of cost of living differential, more like lack of competition & greed.

Brooksy
reply to 'Ski & boot hire'
posted Jan-2013

Here is a copy of the emails.
Dear Christopher

Thank you for your e-mail concerning Ski rental and for booking with us. You have reached the head office of IIC – INTERSPORT International Corp., the managing and purchasing company of the INTERSPORT group, in Switzerland.

We perfectly understand that you are surprised by the price difference, but this is completely normal. You must understand that this are two different countries and also different shops, which are independent from each other.
Live standard is not the same in every country: rents, salaries, taxes etc. are different in every country. You cannot expect same prices in every country. Hotels, transportation, food and other things are also not the same price in each and every country and this is also no exception for services like ski rental. Furthermore if you compare prices with other rental services you will see that their prices also vary from country to country and from shop to shop.

I hope I could help you with this answer and hope to keep you as INTERSPORT Rent customer.

Kind regards,

Thalita Salzmann
Marketing Services

IIC-INTERSPORT International Corp.